Skip to main content

LOTR Marathon Mardi Gras 2021

So, this year we're doing something different for Mardi Gras... We're having a Lord Of The Rings extended edition eat along marathon!

That's right! We're eating our way through LOTR! 

My mom and I are following the #thereandsnackagain meal plan written out by Nate Crowley (you can read his amazing blog post here) but we're making it vegan! 

I've been combing through the Internet, looking for recipes, and I'm going to share my results here on my blog as well as on my Instagram the day of the event.

First thing we found out is that my computer is too advanced to play the DVDs, but our player with the TV still works. 

Then we sat down and tried to figure out what I could change to make things vegan. Thankfully, there's a ton of options now for foods like faux meats and faux cheese. There's also a lot of room for interpretations... I can't find any gelatin free gummy worms, for example. So I'm going to use spaghetti to represent the worm Gollum eats in TT. And the "vile fish stew" that Eowyn makes? Miso soup. (We don't need to torture ourselves that much, do we?)

Most of the food will be eaten in the beginning of each movie because that's when the build up happens to the big fights (it always has at least one big fight in the second half of the movie, always). 

I've already done most of the baking (I'll talk about lembas in another post) and I've planned out everything we need to make this epic feast. I'm writing everything I need into a list as we go along so I can see what works for the next time (because I know there will be a next time).

So, the main question now is: who is with me?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Two Towers Marathon

Day two of the marathon started early! I woke up two hours earlier than I normally do to get everything in the oven and on the stove. I put all the food for the entire day in the oven at the beginning... Don't do that! Wait until after the second movie is finished to put in the food for the third our it will dry out! I am a huge fan of Edoras/ Rohan/ Everything To Do With This Movie, so I was super excited to begin!  The Two Towers started off with salt... Not the best way to begin the day, but we soon washed it down with lembas! This was my favorite of the lembas recipes, but it got tough in the fridge and dry when toasted again. Make this the day you wish to eat it! The Orcish "medicine" we used was Hot Chocolate from @spiceandtea that I won in a giveaway in December... It was much better than whatever Merry drank! The iconic "meat's back on the menu, boys!" scene was filled with yummy foods! @noe...

Coconut Curry Rice

Coconut Curry Rice! Hello everyone! Long time no post, I know! It has been a super crazy fall and the year is startlingly almost over. I have a super crazy week coming up, and I'm currently under the weather, so I decided to do some cooking since I didn't want to go out in the rain. I had some coconut milk I needed to use in the fridge, I've been craving curry, and I needed to use up some things in the freezer, so I decided to meal prep for this week since I'm going to be super busy. This is the end result! Ingredients: 1 tbsp olive oil 1/2 large white onion 1 cup frozen peas 1 cup frozen corn 1 can bamboo shoots 1 package of extra firm tofu, diced 3 green onions 1 cup coconut milk 2 @edwardandsons curry cubes 2 cups dry basmati rice Garlic powder to taste Salt to taste Directions: I basically cooked the onions in olive oil, threw everything else into the pot with a bunch of water, brought it to a boil, then simmered for 20 minutes. Really super ea...

Fellowship Of The Ring Eat-athon

Fellowship Of The Ring Eat-athon, Part One! (We are pacing ourselves with small portions... It's the reason for the half apples or cupcakes!) We begin with a hobbit chomping into a cake! We started by eating half of a vanilla cranberry cupcake! And there's a number of times tea is made in the Hobbiton, so go ahead and make a whole pot (we drank this lovely Earl Grey blend from @adagioteas fandom blends) Bilbo Baggins turns 111! So we eat the other half of the cupcake! Merry eats an apple to look nonchalant while stealing fireworks with Pippin. After seeing some elves in the forest, Sam can't sleep on the hard ground and eats some bread in the middle of the night... My kind of hobbit! Then, as we make it to Bree, we see Peter Jackson take a huge bite out of a carrot... We had baby carrots😂 Pippin's infamous Second Breakfast scene gives us another opportunity to eat an apple! ...